Monday 27 October 2014

The Bull, the Landmark & the Cowherd
by HweeYen Ong

The Bull, the Landmark & the Cowherd
Discription:
30x40 in
oil canvas ’11
Spain Camino Landmark
$400


A cowherd passeth at the famous landmark on the Camino de Santiago Compostela pilgrim route, near the village of Ferreiros, marking 100km or another 3-4 days to Santiago. Spain Camino series. 2010.

Occasionally, I get into fauvist moods where I am inclined to push colour to the extreme to see how far I can go. And so it was with this experimental piece.

Maybe it was the subject matter - the bull - a beast so quintessentially a Spanish symbol that had me charging forth. Maybe it was the setting - the age-old Camino pilgrim path that has been threaded on endlessly since medieval times.

So like the emblematic lines of the Camino scallop shell signifying the various routes to Santiago, I too mapped out this work assiduously. I am still not sure if I am pleased with the result but the journey was a challenging and worthwhile one, as with the Camino sojourn.










No comments:

Post a Comment