Monday 27 October 2014

Ainsa by HweeYen Ong

Ainsa
Description:

A is for Ainsa, a little village in the Camino Aragones, once the capital of the medieval Kingdom of Sobarbe and seeing the imprints in turn of the Celts, the Romans, the Muslims and the Christians in the Reconquest of the Middle Ages. I fell in love with it at first sight, drawn to its aura of mystique and history, and knew that I would paint it. Spain Vignettes 2011.

I thought I was done with painting Spain but a re-visit this year traversing the aragon pyrenees to the south rekindled the passion, and so it was that I started with the most memorable place that embellishes itself into my mind, and heart, forever.. Ainsa.

A little village in the Camino Aragones (see my Spain Camino series), Ainsa was once the capital of the medieval Kingdom of Sobarbe. With a colourful tumultous history, the town saw in turn the imprints of the Celts, the Romans, the Muslims and finally, the Christians in the Reconquest of the Middle Ages. I fell in love with it at first sight, drawn to its beckoning mystique and sense of history, and knowing that I would paint it, I went about taking postcard pictures :)

Strangely this was a canvas that I had tried painting a city landscape that didn't quite work. On impulse, I painted over it straight, and either the colours of the original canvas, or my strong emotions on reminiscing Ainsa, took over. It was pure delirium to translate the aura of Ainsa on canvas. And thus, the happy result where I discovered a colour tone that I have not used before but sets out the feel of the medieval architecture perfectly.

The original work is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Fine Art America secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original by clicking on the picture link below.









No comments:

Post a Comment